146. A Beautiful Reunion

Reunion Dance GIF from Reunion GIFs Saturday 2/3- Many of you who know me know that once upon a time I was in the military. During a deployment to Iraq nearly 17 years ago (Ugh, I really feel old after saying that!) I got close to 2 battle buddies who I hope will be in my life forever. We were all young girls from MN in a military field where very few women end up and we formed a tight while trying to keep each other as sane as possible during a tough 18 months far, far from home. After the deployment we all ended up back in MN, but only saw each other about once a year. Despite not seeing each other very often, when we do get together it’s like no time has passed and we can step right back into our friendships without any problems. The last time I saw these gals was shortly before we moved down here, and ever since then we always talked about when they would come visit us. That was finally happening! We have been working on planning this for a while, and today was my & Ramie’s d

135. Yay, A Visitor!

Skye has been recovering all week after her spay (which happened on 9/29), but honestly she bounced back very quickly. The first day was tough, but after that she was such a trooper and almost back to her regular self after only a couple of days.

One thing that we’ve noticed as she’s growing up is that she is getting more curious than we’d like and wandering off in the yard. No, that's not a bad thing but it is when she goes where she shouldn't in the yard. Even though she doesn’t like to go in the water, she has been venturing down to our creek lately and we don’t like that. There is a crocodile that lives in that creek (we’ve never seen it in our part of the creek but the neighbors farther down and around the bend have seen it) and she would just be a little snack if it happened to find her near the water’s edge, so this week we put up a fence along the last part of our property that wasn’t already fenced. The fence will keep Skye in, but it will not keep cows out in the event they happen to venture into our backyards again! 

Friday 10/6/2023- It’s been a while since we’ve gone out or hung out with Geoff and Tracy. Tracy reached out to us this past week and let us know that she’d be throwing a birthday get-together for Geoff at Whale Tail Brewery, so tonight we’d be getting together with them and some of their other friends for some drinks, dinner, and some good company and laughs. 

We hung out for a few hours, but after dinner and once the live music started I was having a real hard time with all of the noise, so we had to bail out early. As it turns out, the party was just getting started for Geoff, because the following morning we learned that he had QUITE the hangover! I guess that’s the sign of having a good birthday, right?

Happy Birthday Buddy! 

Wednesday 10/11- This day came super-fast! Today is already the day that Taylor will be arriving! It was just in our last blog post that we told you she booked her tickets to come spend a month with us. Since we would be making the trip up to San Jose to get her from the airport, we made the decision that we would multi-task today. We are still looking for some good outdoor patio furniture and having a hard time finding anything that is to our liking. Yes, we do have the Adirondack chairs that Skye likes to lay under and they will “do the job” but it is not the most comfortable seat around and it’s just not what we want permanently. There is a store on the way to San Jose that we’ve seen advertising online that we want to stop at, as well as another well-known store in San Jose that always gets good reviews (but is on the expensive side, even for here). We want to check them both out while we are in the area. It would make today a long day, but it would also be a bit more productive than just driving and since we are going to be in those areas (which doesn’t happen often) we might as well make the most of it.

We left home at about 6:20 this morning to drop Skye off with Ray, Wesley & Izzy for a play date since it would be a very long day, and there’s always the possibility that we may not make it back home tonight if Taylor’s plane is delayed.

We’d rather play it safe than sorry! We were on the road shortly after that and made our way toward the city. We stopped at the first furniture store which was outside of the city, got some ideas, picked our favorite, and got their contact information so if we decided to buy this set we could call them, order it, and have it delivered without having to go back to the store.

Then we finished our drive up to the city and made it to the airport about an hour before Taylor was scheduled to land. There wasn’t enough time for us to go to the other furniture store since that was a half hour from the airport and it would not give us enough time to look around. We also don’t particularly like driving around in the city and we didn’t want to drive anywhere else that we didn’t have to, so we parked in the ramp and hung out in the car. At about the time she was supposed to land, Ramie made his way toward the exit to look for her in the mass of people leaving the terminal because he wasn’t sure if she would have cell phone service to message him. Taylor had a long travel day (or rather, days) to get to us. She actually left MN on Tuesday at about noon, had 3 planes, 2 layovers and an overnight in the Fort Lauderdale airport (she chose this route!). We knew she would be exhausted and wanted to make it less stressful for her, so Ramie wanted to meet her in person instead of making her look for us. Before long she was able to connect to the airport Wifi and send Ramie a message saying that she was in the immigration line and it was long so it could be a while. Once she made it through that whole process (which she said was very easy), got her luggage, and went through customs, she was out the door to find Ramie.

They found each other, made it back to the car, and then it was on to the next store. Taylor didn’t get to rest yet, though, even though she had been traveling for 22 hours and was ready to just relax and go to bed.

We stopped at the second furniture store, found a few more sets that we liked, and decided to buy one of them. Yes it was extremely overpriced and would have only cost about 1/3 of the price back in the US, but it would be comfortable and hopefully durable. There is no way we’d be able to fit it in the truck with us (even if it was only Ramie & I) so we requested delivery with their next truck that was going to Uvita, and hopefully we’d have it in the next week or two.

Now, with patio furniture out of the way it was time to get back on the road toward home. Once we got outside of the crazy traffic of the city, we stopped for dinner at a little Soda (Tico style restaurant) for “linner” (for those of you who are like Ramie and don’t know what that is, it’s the lunch and dinner version of “brunch”) at around 3:00, filled our bellies for the first time today, and then back on the road for the rest of our drive home. It didn’t take long for Taylor to get comfortable with her blanket and fall asleep. Of course, as we were heading into late afternoon and early evening in October, the rain started and it didn’t take long to come down in it’s full force. It was even loud enough to wake Taylor from her sleep to comment on how loud it was. The rest of our drive home was a little bit on the slow side and portions of it were during torrential downpours, so it took us longer than we would have liked. We made it to Uvita around 6:00pm and headed straight to Ray & Wesley’s to pick up Skye. I guess mother nature had a different plan, though, because when we made it to the low bridge on the way up the mountain, the water was rushing over it and was too deep for us to safely cross.

What bridge?!?

We messaged Ray & Wesley, told them the problem, and let them know that if the rain stopped early enough we’d come and get her later, otherwise Skye would be having a slumber party. As it turns out, the rain did NOT stop, and Skye spent the night up at their house. When we made it back to our house, we told Taylor not to worry about unpacking and instead just to relax and go to bed. She was too excited to give us our stuff (or maybe just to get it out of her suitcase) it was time to go through everything that she brought down. It was like Christmas for us again because we had her bring a bunch of stuff for us and for Skye. It’s always so exciting to have guests at our house for so many reasons- including this one! At about 8pm, Taylor couldn't stay awake any longer and was off to bed, but that’s also our bedtime so it worked out well for all of us.

Thursday 10/12- Ray and Wesley had some errands to run on Thursday morning so they dropped Skye off at our house around 7:30. They told us that she was very good and slept on the bed near Wesley’s feet all night without any problem. She even slept until Ray woke up at 4:30. That’s kind of amazing to me, I did not expect that, or maybe they are just being polite and not telling us the truth about how naughty she was.

This morning was like Christmas for Skye too (although she doesn’t know what that is because she was just born in April) since Taylor had brought lots of new toys and collars for her. She would have to grow into the collars a little bit, and she’d only get a couple of new toys at a time, but I think she was happy. When Taylor got out of bed later in the morning Skye just didn’t know what to think. She barked at Taylor a lot at first, and then was too scared to get close… Remember, this dog is a super chicken! It took a while for Skye to get used to having another person around, but by the afternoon Skye was following her around just like she follows us around.

One of the things that we had Taylor bring down for us were new phones. Today Ramie & I spent most of the day, setting them up. I really don’t enjoy setting up new devices and really did not feel like doing this, but I got started on it anyway. Yes- got started. By the end of the day I still didn’t have everything set up and signed in, so I’d still be using my old phone for another day until this one was ready! Other than setting up the phones, it was just a chill at the house day. Taylor was still resting up from her travel and relaxing.

Friday 10/13- After having the last 2 days off work I had to work for at least a few hours this morning to put out any fires that had started and finish up on a few deadlines. I worked until about noon, and then what did I do? Got back to setting up that darn new phone. And that was about all for today!! Yet another very chill day around the house. There will be plenty of time to do things over the next few weeks and I don’t think Taylor was in too much of a hurry to do any activities anyway! 

P.S.  Some of you may have already noticed, but I just wanted to let you all know that going forward, at least for the time being, blog posts might only be coming out every-other-week.  We are running out of things to write about and need some time to come up with some more new content.  Thanks for following along in our adventure!!

Pura Vida!